Connect to the internet via an UMTS connection using SUSE 11.4 using any desktop environment
This describes an example how to surf via UMTS under Linux. The example has been done on 2012-02-10 in Germany with the otelo SurfStick in the Vodaphone network on SUSE Linux 11.4.. It may work same or similar with another hardware, distribution, phone network or country. Here are the steps I took after buying:
Due to Vodaphone requirements I had to hand out my ID card to the shop assistant and she activated the surf stick for me.
- Download umtsmon
- extract it to ~/umtsmon
- attach your USB device Surf Stick
- Start umtsmon, enter your pin
- Choose Connection|Manage profiles
- Add a profile with the APN event.otelo.de, save it
- Click Connection|Connect.
- surf to e.g. http://www.linuxintro.org to get to the otelo's payment dialog
no payment website
Symptom: You do not get a web site that allows you to pay for your UMTS connection
Reason: event.otelo.de is not reachable. This must be reachable for payment check
Solution: make sure there are name servers configured for your system. E.g. have a line
in your /etc/resolv.conf